About Me

This is just a fraction of the world.

Pages

Utrecht: And Other Treks Too

If you can pardon the pun of the title I'd love to press on and tell you about the last fortnight I've spent in Amsterdam and my journey to the nearby city of Utrecht.

Yesterday Renee, Sarah and I hopped on a train down to Utrecht to turn a sunny day into an outright adventure. It was also our 'compensation trip' considering most of our friends went to Berlin for weekend and us bumpkins had assignments to complete/ wallets to nurse.

Pretty kitty in the Utrecht Dom church gardens. 
I have my priorities well sorted; I took 5 photos of this cat and only one of the cathedral. 

This year the city of Utrecht was celebrating the 300 year anniversary of the signing of a European peace treaty (details foggy, was too distracted by cat) and 300 years of excellent colour taste.
 Speaking of colour taste, or lack there of, I snatched 2m of this fushia polka dot delight and the local fabric markets.

Subtle no?

 Sarah and I excitedly posing with the first green tree we've seen in months, by the Oudegracht in the heart of Utrecht. The discerning eye will notice that the canals in Utrecht are totally different from their Amsterdam cousins. Set roughly three meters below street level you have to climb down stairs to walk canal side and there are little houses/workshops/boat wharfs set back into the walls like Hobbit holes.

Dom Catherdal 

 The Janskerfhof Flower markets.

 Renee enjoying her standard carrot cake at Blackbird Coffee & Vintage.

Took incredible self restraint to leave the art deco couches/ vintage bikes behind and settle for just buying a latte at Blackbird. Honestly though, after my recent battle transporting a double mattress on the back of my bike (it's a great story ask me about it some time) I'd had enough of lugging furniture around the Netherlands.

It is however scientifically impossible to 'have enough' of Cherry Blossoms. We found this secret garden as we wandered through the residential backstreets of Utrecht. There is a small chance that we were trespassing onto private property, but I plead ignorance.

 This photo is not only cute but also highly relevant. On two levels. First, the creator of Nijntje (that's 'Miffy' for us English readers) lives in Utrecht and second, the Koningin (read: Queen) of the Netherlands is abdicating the throne in ten days time. Cue hugest nationwide party ever! I personally hope to see Miffy coronated as the next Dutch Royal.

 See earlier comment re: impossibility of getting sick of Cherry Blossoms. They were all over Utrecht.

 Ren wandering the annexed Pandhof Garden by the Dom Kerk. The whole place had a 'Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland' vibe. There were even gargoyles dribbling overhead.

As the sun sank, the three of us found a gezellig street cafe to eat a late lunch and sip wine/ tea (or in my case Chocomel chocolate milk) whilst feeling pretty happy with our efforts to explore the very pretty city of Utrecht. Whats more, we had no real casualties. I did loose one of my silver disco ball earrings... but maybe that was for the best?

Speaking of earrings and knick knacks more generally, Earlier this month I discovered the IJ Hallen Markt. The largest flea market in the Netherlands (possibly all of the universe). It's literally just across the river from my place, houses in two, huge, old ship building warehouses. I went with a colourful crew of Germans, Kazakhs (ie. two girls from Kazakhstan) and an Italian.

I ended up with two Amstel beer steins, a hand knitted floral quilt (I felt obliged to buy it after chatting to the cute Oma that was making it) a pack of Dutch playing cards, a police jumper, two wooden chairs (this was when I still had patience to lug furniture around Amsterdam) and a deep sense of satisfaction.

 Daniel leading the way to the Bio-Organic-Fandangled Greenhouse Cafe 'Norderlicht' where we rewarded ourselves for a good hard morning of flea marketing by lounging river side.

 Just your standard abandoned submarine that's been converting into a graffiti artists hang. Yo.

Later that evening the weather finally got a bit friendlier (or at least more photogenic). The view from my bedroom as the sun set over the Houthavens. 

 When I'm not watching the sun set (or *cough* doing uni work ) Jess and I blob about and watch laptop TV - occasionally with snacks like... blue rats, tarantulas, eyeballs, sea stars and Smurfs from the local lolly shop. Don't worry, I didn't eat them all, Jess and Lewis (who came across from England to stay with me a few days) helped out!

Because Lewis was with me, I felt obliged to do some cultural actuvities so we visited the Rijksmuseum (backgrounded here). NO regrets. It finally reopened this week after ten odd years of renovation. On a side note, the infamous 'I amsterdam' tourist trap sign proves that I'm  not the only one keen on puns around here!

Inside the Rijkmuseum, in the Rembrant room to be precise. 
On the left wall hangs Rembrandt's infamous if incorrectly titled 'The Night Watch' (art snob Francesca explains: it's clearly daytime in the painting, it was titled years after its creation and before the work was properly cleaned. Thus the owners thought it showed a night scene). Still a breathtaking piece at any time of day.

 Alabaster head of John the Baptist. Looking good for a decapitation- and a 600 year old sculpture.

 Seeeeee even Van Gogh had a thing for cherry blossoms!

Dutch snacks in the fickle sunshine by Museumplein. A relaxing note to end a busy two weeks on. I'm well into the second block of uni now and officially more than half way through my Amsterdam stay. Crazy crazy crazy.  Off to Paris in four days.  Pray for me people, it's a hard life!


No comments:

Post a Comment