About Me

This is just a fraction of the world.

Pages

Sam's Surprise (Back to France and Belgium)

I'd say I'm a pretty good secret keeper. But for the past two months my stealth skills have been challenged; during my exam period I'd secretly been planning a trip for Sam and myself go to Paris and La Hulpe. Such organising is tricky when you're living with the person you want to surprise, but I'm proud to say I pulled it off and good old Sam had no idea that the bus I herded him onto on the 6th of June was heading to Paris. It was a harrowing seven hour bus trip with a 6.00am arrival time - but I think the view from our neighbourhood alone was worth it.

Perched out the front of the Sacre Coeur (our apartment was about 200m away).

 We played house with this pretty little studio apartment in Montmartre.

The view never got old. Ever.



We spent our first day scoping out the hills of Montmartre, eating gelato and figuring out which of us was worse at French (I think Sam won). The second day we did what we do best, sifting through flea markets...



Actually, while I'm on the topic of flea markets, I forgot to show you these photos the last time I was gushing about the IJ Hallen Markets in Amsterdam. Below is the inside of one of the warehouses that is now communal artist studios. Très alternative.



Daniel, Leslie and Solveig by the river after market success.

Oh yea- and Sam and I picked up a TV for freeee (see how good these markets were?!) so naturally, he decided to paint it a release it back into the wild of the docklands.

Mmmkay. Got that out of my system (a moustached TV was too good not to share) let's get back to the point of this post: Paris. And below is the point of Paris: the Luxor Obelisk.


After a frenchy baguette lunch we decided to go check out the Palace at Versailles (to be honest I did more of the deciding and Sam did more of the good natured 'going along with it'). I can report that the palace was satisfactorily gold.

Louis XIV never was a fan of subtly hey?

We couldn't actually go through the gardens because we arrived a little late and without any funds for the entry fee, but here's the teaser that we got to see. Our brief stay at the Château wasn't a major problem though because, luckily for us, all of Versailles is b-e-a-utiful.

This is the 'secret garden/church vineyard' that the two of us stumbled across while looking for a picnic  spot for dinner (which one again consisted of bread, cheese, and pastries).

A storm was a-coming though, so we had to get back to Paris pronto.


We did take a quick detour past the Tower - because I wanted Sam to see that it sparkles at night (on every hour). In the process I discovered that Eiffel Tower sparkles are hard to capture on film - they're like fireworks in their frustratingly unphotogenic-ness. So you'll just have to take my work for it, sparkles were had.


Baguettes were also had. Daily. My taste bud were dancing the Can-Can for the whole three days we were in France.


And then Sam and I migrated to Belgium to stay with my friend Christine (again) and meet up with some of my Amsterdam friends in Bruges.


"It's impossible to be unhappy with a waffle".


We took the historical side of the city pretty seriously. #gameofthrones?

Especially Sam,

and Leslie even more so.


Then after our general wander we got to business. Sweet, chocolatey business.

I picked up all my favourite from the last time I was in Brugge - including the Bacon flavour, of course.

Nice pipes.

Nicer bites.
Sam and I went out for a 'romantic' dinner in Bruges. We got my favourite traditional dish 'Moules Frites' aka. Mussels with Belgian Fries. I defiantly paid more romantic attention to the mussels than to Sam. But look at them, can you blame me?!

Swan fluff lining the street of Bruges. All of the canals are filled with swans, just incase it wasn't enough of a fairytale town. Maybe the local council just rents them or something.

Belgium day two meant a trip to Antwerp. Sam and I went with Christine and Marianne. I'd never been there before despite my mild obsession with Belgium. I was not disappointed. If Bruges is a museum city, Antwerp is very much alive and kicking...with fashionably attired feet.

Fun fact: Antwerpen apparently got it's name from the dutch 'hand werpen' which means 'hand throwing'. The story goes: some bully giant wanted to take more taxes from the local residents (and cut off one of their hands when they didn't pay) until one hero named Brabo gave the giant a taste of his own medicine, lopped of the giant's hand and got rid of him once and for all. Hurrah!

Now days I think the city has taxes again, but it also had impeccable taste. Cop and eyeful of this shopping gallery, for example.

 Just out of shot to the right is a levitating champagne bar that sits level with the third storey. I couldn't afford to sneeze in any of the shops surrounding this light-up blob (what is it?), but it was pretty pretty. Speaking of pretty, Sam and I were pretty darn spoilt 'cause Marianne and Christine took us out for lunch..at the Hilton...as one does. I nearly fell out of my velvet padded seat. I couldn't thank them enough!

Graffiti by Brecht Evens (famous Belgian artist y'all).

Such love: Christine and I in Lier.

After a pretty crazy week of stuffing our minds with culture, our mouths with deliciousness and our eyes with out-and-out beauty we crawled back to Amsterdam. Sam jetted off to Annecy for the Animation Festival the next day. I had the equally exciting task of writing my 3000 word essay. Sam came back to the 'dam for one night before he was due to head back to Australia for good. Busy busy.
my housemate Daniel has left to visit home (Germany) too- so I'm currently feeling a wee bit abandoned. My trip to the Anne Frank house today probably wasn't, in retrospect, the best idea to lift my spirits!  (It was really interesting though, I've been reading her diary whilst I'm over here). My friends Michael, Billy and Ruby are all due to arrive in the next two days; we're going to a music festival this weekend. So the good times and good company will all begin again soon (really they never stopped). -- I'll keep you posted people. x


No comments:

Post a Comment